Friday, September 4, 2009

How many books can Hollywood ruin? one more it seems...

As a former employee at Village Centre Cinemas, I had access to free movies. The last movie I saw before leaving my job was "The Time Traveler's Wife". I was very excited to go this movie as soon as I saw the trailer online. The story line seemed solid, and my friends that had read the book told me it was amazing. Also, shallow as it might be, I think Eric Bana is extremely good looking, as well as Rachel McAdams, which made the movie THAT much more appealing to me.

Thursday came and I settled into the theater chair - my last time I would do so for a midnight employee preview - with great anticipation for the film. The movie began and my eyes were glued to the screen. However, as the movie continued my eyes began to wander. By the time the film ended I was left unsatisfied, (but thankfully, I saw the movie for free).

My co-workers felt the same; the movie did not live up to the hype. Those that had read the book thought the movie did the book injustice. I decided that I should pick up the book and see what the fuss was about. Only on the third chapter, it is hard to stop to even write this; it is THAT good. So once again a great book is brought to meritocracy by Hollywood.

"The Time Traveler's Wife" is a couch movie to see with your girlfriends (or force your boyfriends to watch...which they just might agree to it, as it gives them an excuse to stare at Rachel McAdams for a couple of hours). It could be justified as a matinee movie, but definitely not a movie to waste an evening on. Instead, borrow from a friend - or a library - and read the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment